Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Communicate with your family.

Man it is hot, so hot. Tonight instead of going for a walk we headed off to the pool with a couple of the others from the support group for aqua aerobics. It was really good, and I can feel how much my shoulders got a work out. 

Today is an interesting topic, and one that I think most of us who have had WLS struggle with. It requires practise and patience and understanding that others just sometimes just don't get what we need to do to move on with our journey. Once again, this is one of the NAWLS Small Bites. 


Communicate with your family.
Sometimes it's depressing to be reminded of the old adage: You can pick your friends, but not your family. You may need to teach your family to contribute to your long-term WLS success if they don't warm up to the idea naturally. Some family members may not understand the level of change required in your life. While others may think your surgery was too extreme.


Try to be patient and gentle with them. Explain your WLS lifestyle to them as clearly as you can, and make your two-way communication ongoing. 


Action for the day:
Today, practise communicating your needs to your family, while also listening to their concerns. 


© 2007, Katie Jay. All rights reserved.
 I don't think affects me as much as some others I know. My family has always been really supportive. Sure there have been moments of forgetfullness, or misunderstanding about the journey, but ultimately it was one of my extended family that pushed me to recognise that I had a problem and that I need to do something about it.....and he made me see that that something was WLS.


I know that not everyone has the same kind of relationship with family, and in some cases family is not even told about the surgery. Although I support everyone's right to make that decision not to share with certain people, I  struggle with the thought for myself. I never would have been able to do this journey without being so open about it. I mean I almost shout from the roof tops and I am not yet at goal!!! 


It is just another part of this journey that can vary from one person to the next, and although we might not do the same thing, we need to respect the choices make and like yesterday's entry - trust our own judgment.



No comments:

Post a Comment